As someone who’s currently navigating the dating scene, I never imagined how my car-camping digital nomad lifestyle would impact my romantic pursuits. It left me questioning if I should leave the dating pool altogether as I embarked on this new way of life. But I knew that I was at a stage where I wanted a partner and wondered how I could make it work without sacrificing my nomadic lifestyle. With this in mind, I set out to find ways to balance both aspects, resulting in the tips and insights shared in this article. If you’re a digital nomad and crave companionship while exploring the world, then this article is for you. Keep reading to discover some of the best tips on how to date successfully while being a digital nomad.
Also, as the title suggests, this article will focus mainly on being a digital nomad of the “vanlife” or “carlife” variety. However, there should be some value to internationally traveling digital nomads as well!
Use Dating Apps and Sites
Although many people despise them, dating apps actually add a lot of convenience to the dating experience. When it comes to being a digital nomad, this convenience is a necessity. Living at a permanent address near a bustling city makes meeting up with people much easier. But as a nomad, you likely won’t be in the same place for long, and you’ll likely be spending most of your time in more remote areas.
Apps to consider are Bumble, Hinge, and Tinder. Some apps allow you to create filters for finding people with shared interests and lifestyles. Make sure to match with people who seem like a good fit for your lifestyle. When adding photos, be sure to include ones of you out and about with your vehicle as well as some of you in urban environments. Use the bio section to state upfront that you’re a digital nomad so that there’s no surprises.
Many dating apps these days also feature in-app video chat tools. This is great for establishing a first date and getting to know someone face-to-face when not in close proximity to each other.
So to recap, here are some best practices for using dating apps as a digital nomad:
- Be clear about your digital nomad lifestyle in your profile.
- Use location-based filters to find matches in the areas you’ll be visiting or residing in.
- Use the app regularly to stay connected with potential matches.
- Consider investing in a paid subscription for additional features and benefits.
- Use video chat to connect with matches before meeting up in person.
- Be cautious and take safety precautions, such as meeting in public places and letting someone know where you’re going and who you’re meeting.
Attend Local Events and Join Groups
If dating apps aren’t your thing, or you’re looking to mix things up a bit, try attending local events. Depending on what city you’re near at any given moment, there’s sure to be some live event. Whether it’s a weekend market, a concert, or a hobbyist meet-up, these are great places to meet new people in just about any city. What’s more, this is also a great way to learn a cities culture, which may be one of your goals as a nomad.
You can join Facebook Groups or sign up for sites like meetup.com to find events based on your interests. There are likely some digital nomad meetups going on in a city near you! Or, just explore a city and look for billboards and flyers that are advertising events. Whichever route you go, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Research local events and groups
- Attend events and join groups
- Be friendly and approachable
- Don’t be afraid to try new things
- Follow up and stay connected
Be Creative with Date Ideas
When you’re a digital nomad, traditional date ideas like dinner and a movie may not always be feasible or desirable. However, there are plenty of creative and unique date ideas that can cater to the nomadic lifestyle. Here are some fun and unconventional date ideas to consider:
- Go on a hike: Hiking is a great way to explore the outdoors and get some exercise. It’s also a low-cost and fun date idea that can be done in many different locations.
- Have a picnic: Pack a picnic lunch or dinner and enjoy it in a scenic location. This can be a romantic and intimate date idea that allows you to connect with your partner while enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
- Visit local landmarks: Whether it’s a museum, a historic site, or a natural wonder, visiting local landmarks can be a fun and educational date idea. It also allows you to learn more about the local culture and history.
- Take a cooking class: Many cities offer cooking classes that allow you to learn new skills while bonding with your partner. This can be a fun and unique date idea that you can take with you wherever you go.
- Attend a local festival or event: Many cities have festivals and events throughout the year that showcase the local culture and community. Attending these events can be a fun and exciting date idea that allows you to connect with the local community.
- Volunteer together: Volunteering together can be a rewarding and meaningful date idea that allows you to give back to the community. It’s also a great way to bond with your partner while doing something positive.
- Try a new activity or sport: Whether it’s rock climbing, paddleboarding, or surfing, trying a new activity or sport together can be a fun and adventurous date idea that can create lasting memories.
Communication is Key
Maintaining a relationship while being a digital nomad can be challenging, but with the right communication and approach, it can also be incredibly rewarding. The key is to be open and honest about your lifestyle from the very beginning. If your potential partner is not another nomad, they may have questions and concerns that need to be addressed.
Once you’ve started dating, use all the tools at your disposal to stay connected. Social media, video chats, phone calls, texting, and video games can all help bridge the distance. Make sure to schedule regular check-ins and be respectful of each other’s time.
Traveling to see each other is also important. If your partner is based in a specific city, make time to explore the surrounding areas and plan visits accordingly. Consider meeting each other where you are or taking an extended stay together to really connect and create lasting memories. Remember, being flexible and creative in catering to each other’s needs is key to making a relationship work as a digital nomad.
To recap, here are some communication tips to follow:
- Prioritize open communication
- Be honest about your schedule and plans
- Be respectful of each other’s time
- Use technology to stay connected
- Set expectations for communication frequency and methods
- Be understanding of the challenges of a digital nomad lifestyle
- Be flexible and adaptable to changes in plans
Find Love on the Move
Being a digital nomad doesn’t have to mean giving up on your dating life. By being upfront about your lifestyle, using dating apps and sites, attending local events and groups, and being creative with your date ideas, you can meet new people and potentially find a meaningful relationship while on the move. It’s all about staying open-minded, flexible, and proactive. So, pack up your car, hit the road, and follow the tips and insights shared in this article to make the most out of your dating life as a digital nomad. Who knows, you may just find the perfect travel partner to explore the world with! For more tips on the nomadic lifestyle, be sure to read my article on finding work-life balance while working remote.